The Seafood Product Manager is responsible for comprehensive management of the seafood category. Responsibilities include procurement, planning, inventory management, marketing, new product integration and development of existing lines. Tasks include gathering market intelligence and prioritizing product vs customer requirements, defining the product vision, and working closely with sales, marketing and operations to ensure revenue growth and customer satisfaction. Duties also include sourcing, establishing relationships with vendors, negotiating purchasing contracts, solving order grievances and discrepancies, and managing the supply chain from packer to warehouse/ RFP stage through delivery. The successful Product Manager’s job also includes ensuring that the product and marketing efforts are consistent with the company’s overall strategy and goals.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following essential functions:
- Able to forecast and meet or exceed category volume and profit objectives annually Identifies competitive environment and supply markets to ensure optimized pricing strategy.
- Establishes and builds relationships with key suppliers and customers.
- Negotiates and executes purchase orders and/or vendor contracts, as needed, to support business needs.
- Aggressively seeks out and targets opportunity buys with vendors
- Manages budgets for both current and new product inventory.
- Manages product flow to ensure that inventory is maintained at optimum levels to support on time customer deliveries while keeping inventory holdings at the appropriate levels.
- Displays a high level of critical thinking in cross-functional process analysis and problem resolution for new and existing products.
- Works closely with the Receiving Department to ensure that goods come in on time and shelf life is maximized. Adept at tracing and solving supply chain issues to complete the cycle.
- Provides coordination and leadership in procurement activities for assigned commodities.
- Places purchase orders for assigned commodity categories in a timely manner.
- Identifies the needs of requesting departments and develops a plan, in conjunction with the marketing department, to meet those needs in a timely fashion.
- Works closely with sales and marketing to find new merchandise/brands and/or alternatives to meet customer needs.
- Studies sales records and inventory levels of current stock to develop strategic purchasing and marketing programs. Aware of trends and critical market dynamics
- Monitors changes affecting supply and demand, tracking market conditions, price trends, and futures markets.
- Integrates the introduction of new products – supplier selection/analysis/negotiation/ongoing savings initiatives.
- Represents the company professionally at industry or sector conferences and trade shows.
- Provides purchasing support to colleagues across the company.
- Meets /exceeds expected reliability standards.
- Develops marketing accrual programs with vendors to support product growth
- Is an expert in the assigned category and supports company cross-departmental product training initiatives
- Adheres to Corporate Policy and shares company values.
Essential skills and experience:
- Minimum Associates’ degree in business or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 2 to 3 years of experience in product planning, purchasing, price negotiation, and inventory control.
- Must have experience in new product development, program execution, and strategic planning.
- Must have excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Must be detail-oriented and thorough with an extremely high degree of accuracy and follow-through.
- Must have strong mathematical and analytical skills.
- Must have good writing and speaking skills.
- Must be a good communicator, electronically, virtually, telephonically and in person.
- Must be a good planner and decision maker, including setting of priorities.
- Must learn quickly and effectively, and be open to critical feedback.
- Must be a skilled negotiator.
- Must have excellent customer service skills.
- Must have the ability to make formal and appealing presentations.
- Must be an excellent cross-departmental collaborator and coachable
- Must be computer and PC literate.
- Commitment to continued training and development of category expertise
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of job, the employee is required to walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.